Sunday, March 11, 2018

Home Exterior Painting Decisions: A Gray Area (Part II)

Has anyone else ever tried the Sherwin Williams ColorSnap Visualizer? (No, this isn't an ad for it... just a recent discovery.) Last week I bought a sample of Gauntlet Gray and Dovetail and painted them on the side of our house to test them out. 

The Dovetail, while a nice color in general, was way too light for what we want. So of those two samples, Gauntlet Gray won out. But I still struggled with wanting to try out some more gray colors before settling on it. 


Gauntlet Gray... winner of Round 1

Rather than making another trip to the SW store right away (where I would inevitably spend forever debating between swatches), I decided to try this Visualizer tool first to see if it would clear up any of my gray confusion. I'm not sure if it made the situation better or worse... and the more I look at these mock-ups, the more they all start to look the same. 

You can see our original nondescript beige color in each of the below insets (along with my previous blog post). And of course, the inevitable disclaimer with any online rendering: Actual color may vary from on-screen representation. 







I like the look of Dovetail above, but it looks much darker on this Visualizer than it did when I painted the sample on our house... making me question the reliability of this tool.

I think Peppercorn is the one that's most obviously different as it's the darkest of all. What are your thoughts about these grays? Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them... right?! (Let's face it, I'll be back at the Sherwin-Williams store for more samples anyway.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails