Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Recipe of the week: Slow-cooker Vegetarian Chili

If you’re hoping for another basement update, sorry, not this time! Hopefully soon, though. For now, I do have another yummy recipe to hold you over. Aren’t you excited?!

In an effort to explore some other meat-free meals during Lent (don't get me wrong; I love my Tuna Helper and mac & cheese), I decided to try a recipe that my mom had made for us when we went home over Christmas. This one’s a winner, folks!


Slow-cooker Vegetarian Chili
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 28-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
water as desired

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook until vegetables are tender.




I love any recipe where the instructions are only one sentence long, don’t you? Truly, it doesn’t get much easier than this. Chopping the veggies was the only time-consuming part (and amazingly enough, I didn’t even slice my finger as I’m prone to do when wielding the kitchen knife). But I digress…


Some other notes from my experience:


- I used two sweet potatoes, simply because I felt like one wasn’t enough.
- I mixed in some red peppers with the green peppers (wild woman!). You could pretty much throw in whatever you want into this soup.
- I probably added about 3-4 cups of water
- It took about 5 to 5 ½ hours until the veggies were tender (not mushy though). I had the crockpot on high most of the time.


The recipe ended up making more than I thought it would, so I’m going to try freezing some of it. Oh yeah, in case you’re interested in how it tastes… yummy!! It's obviously missing the flavor you would get from having a meat, but it's not bland. It has slightly smoky flavor from the cumin and fire-roasted tomatoes. I’m also going to go out on a limb and say that this “chili” is a pretty healthy meal, too. Bonus points for that! Oh, and it easily costs under $10 to make. Double bonus points!

2 comments:

micah said...

Delish!

Shannon said...

Cocoa poder and cinnamon, eh? Interesting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails